THE WUSPBA CODE OF CONDUCT
The goals of the Western United States Pipe Band Association are to:
* Promote the advancement of pipe band music, solo piping and drumming, and drum majoring;
* Ensure that competitions are well-conducted and fair to all;
* Ensure that judging is of the highest quality; and
* Create a bond of fellowship among all who seek to preserve and promote the heritage and culture of Scotland and Ireland. Members of the public pay to attend Highland games so that they may hear and see pipe bands and solo competitors. Without these games and the hard work of games sponsors, WUSPBA member would not have a venue for competition. Therefore, appropriate conduct at Highland games sanctioned by the WUSPBA includes promptness at all events; the wearing of appropriate Highlanddress while on the field; courtesy and appropriate conduct toward judges, games sponsors, other competitors and members of the public; and cooperation with and participation in massed bands. Conduct that reflects badly upon the WUSPBA and its members are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
The WUSPBA values the individuals who give of their time and expertise to judge band and solo competitions, and asks that judges make every effort to be on time to all contests; wear appropriate Highland dress while on the field; and provide bands and solo competitors with comments that are supportive and will lead to improvement.
I. Competitions shall be conducted in a fair and impartial manner.
1. Prior to competitions, judges and competitors shall not communicate in any fashion concerning the particular competition and shall generally attempt to avoid any communication except as permitted by WUSPBA rules and accepted practices for courtesy.
2. During competitions, judges and competitors shall not communicate except as is necessary to conduct the competition.
3. After competitions, judges and competitors may communicate concerning the specific competition for purposes of providing explanation or critique at the sole discretion of the judge. Competitors shall not communicate with a judge regarding specific points awarded, rankings or results of the competition. All such communications shall be conducted in a civil, respectful manner, and no communication is permitted that brings insult or disrespect to any judge, competitor, games organization or official, or the WUSPBA.
4. In all solo piping and drumming and band competitions, points awarded, rankings and results of a competition shall be based solely on the merits of the musical performance.
5. At all competitions, judges and competitors shall conduct themselves so as to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
II. At all times, judges, competitors and WUSPBA members shall conduct themselves in a manner that promotes the goals of, and brings credit upon, the WUSPBA.
1. Judges, competitors and WUSPBA members shall not publicly make statements that cause insult
or disrespect to any other judge, competitor, WUSPBA member, games organization or official, members of the public or the WUSPBA.
2. Judges, competitors and WUSPBA members shall not engage in any conduct that causes insultor disrespect to any other judge, competitor, WUSPBA member, games organization or official, member of the public or the WUSPBA.
3. Judges, competitors and WUSPBA members shall not exert any physical force or violence upon any other judge, competitor, WUSPBA member, games official or member of the public.
4. Judges, competitors and WUSPBA members shall not encourage any person to leave a WUSPBA-member band in which such person is a registered member.