How WUSPBA Soloist Aggregate Points Are Earned
In order to determine the yearly champions, the Western United States Pipe Band Association tracks the results of solo competitions within the WUSPBA area. There are several limitations to be aware of:
- Only those WUSPBA soloists registered for the current season are eligible. (Soloists often may register with the WUSPBA representative at a venue, though in advance is much preferred.)
- Only solo events that match the approved events as provided for in the WUSPBA by-laws are tracked.
- Only contests that occur within the area sanctioned by WUSPBA are tracked.
- Only contests that adhere to the contest rules as provided for in the WUSPBA by-laws are tracked.
- To earn aggregate points you must place in top six (6) positions in the event. If the event is separated into two (2) or more leets, the results for each leet are used to determine aggregate points. Any playoff results are disregarded.
- Solo competitors that finish in the top six (6) places for an event will earn one (1) point for each competitor they best and an additional point for completing the contest. For example, in a 10-person event, the first place competitor will earn ten (10) points, the second place competitor will earn nine (9) points, and so on, until the sixth place competitor, who earns five (5) points.
- The number of competitors shall be the actual number of judged competitors, as opposed to the number of entries. Competitors that enter an event but scratch or do not show are not counted in the total number of competitors.
- Competitors that start the competition but break down, and do not finish the competition will not be awarded any points, even if they are in the top six (6) positions. However, the competitor will be counted for the purposes of determining the total number of competitors.
- Players who are disqualified are counted as a competitor, but will not be eligible to earn points.
- Aggregate prizes awarded at a contest by the contest sponsor are not counted in WUSPBA point standings.
Suppose there is a Grade 4 Piping 2/4 March competition with 36 entries. The contest organizers elect to divide the competitors into 2 leets, with 18 competitors in each leet.
On the day of the competition, 3 competitors scratch, so the first leet has 16 entries, and the second leet has 17 entries. In the first leet 3 competitors break down. In the second leet, 1 competitor breaks down, and 1 competitor is disqualified for playing a 4/4 march.
The total number of competitors for the competition is 33. Thus, the breakdowns and disqualified competitors did not reduce the number of competitors.
The first place competitor in FIRST leet will earn 16 points. The second place competitor in the leet will earn 15 points. The third place competitor will earn 14 points. The fourth place competitor will earn 13 points. The fifth place competitor will earn 12 points. The sixth place competitor will earn 11 points. The others competitors (that finished in seventh place or lower) will not earn any points.
The first place competitor in SECOND leet will earn 17 points. The second place competitor in the leet will earn 16 points. The third place competitor will earn 15 points. The fourth place competitor will earn 14 points. The fifth place competitor will earn 13 points. The sixth place competitor will earn 12 points. The others competitors (that finished in seventh place or lower) will not earn any points.
The top 3 competitors from each leet are placed into a playoff competition, but the final playoff standings are not considered for aggregate points.
Suppose there is a Grade II Piping Hornpipe/Jig competition with seven entries. Two of the entries scratch, which results in five judged competitors. One competitor breaks down during the Jig, and does not finish. Four competitors finish.
The first place competitor will earn 5 points. The second place competitor will earn 4 points. The third place competitor will earn 3 points. The fourth place competitor will earn 2 points. The remaining competitor will not earn any points, since he broke down and did not finish the competition.Follow and share WUSPBA